• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

Warriors Set Sights on Fourth Regional Championship

Fred Wills, Staff

The 2017 Warrior Campaign was not completed. The goal was to bring home a championship. The Warriors’ dream ended with a lost in the state semi-finals to Dunbar. It was not a failure either, they finished 12-2, and were UCBAC and regional champions. This team had many seniors which contributed to their success such as Jordan Day (WR/S), Reggie Marks (LG/DT), Sean Greeley (RB, LB). Will the loss of seniors jeopardize the Warriors being four-time regional champions?

No, it won’t. This team had many juniors who played critical roles, and they will be returning. “Our kids have been able to learn a lot from the seniors and the kids who are gone at this point, so we got a great deal of experience coming back.” Coach Downs said about next year’s team.  

“I feel like we have some guys coming up, especially our wide-receiving core is going to be pretty strong,” said junior quarterback, Alex Gresock. “Jordan White, Christian [Penrow], Jahmaad [Stansberry],” are some receivers he named. The Warriors receiving core will be strong. Penrow made 1st team all-county at wide receiver. White emerged as a strong outside presence late in the season, catching several touchdowns. Stansbury caught his first Varsity touchdown on the very last play of the state semi-finals game. Quarterback Alex Gresock should be more than satisfied with this group of talented wide-receivers.

The passing attack will be good, but every high school needs some form of a running game. Tony Bowman will most likely fill that role. Bowman has had a limited amount of playing time since he backed up seniors, Jasai Stansbury and Sean Greeley. Much of his playing time came towards the end of blowout games. However, when he has played, he was impressive. He is a strong, hard runner and has a lot of potential.

The offensive line will be opening up the holes for Bowman. 1st team all-county left tackle, Jesse Fenner will be returning and will anchor that line to regionals. “It’s going to take a lot of hard work, getting in the weight room every day in the offseason and showing full hearts out on the field,” Said Fenner. He will be a four-year Varsity player and will be a dominant force. He is the hardest worker and strongest player on the team.

The Warriors have always relied on a strong defense to win games. The strength of this unit will be the secondary. Top returning players will be Jordan White, Christian Penrow, Jesse Fenner, Robbie Shivers and Joshua Mergler.

This group of Warriors are very experienced. “They know what it takes to win,” said Coach Downs. Just like every year, players will step-up and produce some Warrior wins.