• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

UConn Women’s Basketball Headed for Another Championship Win

The+University+of+Connecticut+Academic+logo.+Image+courtesy+Wikimedia+Commons.+
The University of Connecticut Academic logo. Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

Kayla Sumpter, Staff

The 2017 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament will be full of great games, amazing competition, and unbelievable talent. My predicted 2017 tournament winner is University of Connecticut. UConn broke the NCAA record of most consecutive games won with a 109-game win streak and counting. As of March 20th, it’s been 856 days since UConn last lost a game, which broke the 46-game win streak they had. This means in the last 154 games, UConn has a 153-1 record.

UConn hasn’t been faced with too much competition considering they have had 106 double-digit wins during this streak and have not been ranked lower than No. 3 during the streak. They have had 61 wins by at least 40 points. UConn has won 4 straight championships and have many other accomplishments during these past couple of seasons.

UConn has a great team overall but they have 3 solid players putting up impressive numbers in different areas on the court. Katie Samuelson, a 6’3 guard/forward, averages 20.9 points per game. She’s only a Sophomore and made 2016 All-Freshman Team, 2016 All-American Conference Tournament Team, and the 2016 ESPNw National Freshman of the Year, along with many high school accomplishments including being a McDonalds All-American and was chosen as the Gatorade California Player of the Year.

Napheesa Collier, a 6’1 Forward, also a sophomore, averages 20.2 points per game, 8.9 rebounds per game, and leads the team in blocks with 68 total blocks. She also made the 2016 All-Freshman Team. Last season Collier shot 91.7% from the free-throw line. In high school, she was the 2013 and 2015 Gatorade Missouri Player of the Year and was also selected as a McDonalds All-American.

Gabby Williams, a 5’11 junior playing the forward, averages 5.3 assists per game and leads the team in steals with 93 total steals so far this season. She made the 2014-15 Sixth Player of the Year and 2014-15 All-Freshman Team. Last season she shot a team’s best of 63.6% from the field and finished the season with four double-doubles, another team best. Gabby was a two-sport athlete in high school and was a two-time Nevada Gatorade Player of the Year for Track. Throughout high school Williams won multiple state championships in many different events for Track and Field.

No matter how much talent UConn has, they couldn’t be successful without a great coach. Geno Auriemma, head coach for UConn, has led the team from only one winning season to 11 national titles, 17 final fours, 6 perfect seasons (1995, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2016) and 43 conference titles. Auriemma is also the head coach of the U.S. National Team, who has won the gold medal at the 2012 Olympic games in London and the 2016 games in Rio, with a 16-0 record. He also led the USA team to gold medals at each of the last two FIBA World Championships. He is an 8-time national coach of the year and has been named conference coach of the year 13 times.

With a strong coaching staff and a talented group of girls, UConn is bound to win another championship. They may have competition and with many great teams in the NCAA, they may have to put up a fight but one thing UConn knows how to do is win, so I’m sure that’s what they’ll do.