• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

Warriors Discuss: Why Monday Night RAW is the Superior Brand

Patrick Hauf (Red) and Josh Casazza (Blue) representing their brands each backed in their article discussing which WWE brand is the best. Patrick takes the pose of The Undertaker and Josh adopts a pose as The Miz.

Patrick Hauf, Staff

This article is a part of a series of articles, “Warriors Discuss” in which Warrior Journalists take opposing viewpoints on current issues. To see Josh’s opposing view, click  here.

Ever since the brand split last summer, the debate for which brand headlines WWE has been constant. From WWE owner Vince McMahon’s kids Stephanie and Shane being the commissioner of each show, to having the brands compete at Survivor Series, the competition between the two brands is quite popular among the WWE Universe.

Each brand has a plethora of talent, but when it comes down to the attentive details, RAW comes out on top. Going into WrestleMania, RAW has three rivalries with rich storylines. All three of these rivalries are bound to live up to the hype thanks to the talent of their superstars.

The first rivalry has been built up ever since the RAW after Summerslam, where Kevin Owens became the new Universal Champion. Owens has been able to hold his title to this day thanks to his former best friend Chris Jericho always being by his side.

Jericho helped Owens win over superstars like Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns by constantly cheating his way to victory. Week in and week out, the two best friends cut highly entertaining promos full of many laughs and catch phrases that the fans adored.

Prior to Fastlane where Owens defended his title against Goldberg, Jericho decided to have a Festival of Friendship to celebrate the two best friends’ success together. This ‘festival’ consisted of hilarious gifts from Jericho to Owens like sculptures, paintings, and the return of Gillberg. Owens then turned on his best friend out of nowhere, showing his true colors of greed and hate.

As weeks went by building up to Owens’ title match verse Goldberg at Fastlane, Jericho was nowhere to be found. At Fastlane, once the bell rang for Owens’ match, Jericho’s music started,  distracting Owens and costing him the match.

The Festival of Friendship will go down as one of the greatest promos of all time. Owens and Jericho put fans on an emotional roller-coaster of sports entertainment that will lead into a rivalry for the ages.

Arguably the greatest of these rivalries is Seth Rollins verse Triple H. This rivalry has been in the makings for years. Rollins debuted in WWE with Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose as the Shield. The three became fan favorites that dominated anyone who got in their way.

In the height of this dominance, Rollins turned on his two friends in order to join Triple H in the Authority. After this sudden betrayal of the Shield and alliance with Triple H, Rollins thanks to the help of the Authority, won the Money and the Bank and cashed in at WrestleMania 31 to win the WWE World Title. He then put on an impressive run with the title that ended due to a torn ACL that kept him out of WWE for seven months.

When Rollins came back from his injury the next year after missing WrestleMania 32, Triple H betrayed him in a fatal four way WWE World Title match on Monday Night RAW post brand split.

Rollins then went mad and demanded Triple H to confront him for months. In the middle of a match to qualify for the Royal Rumble, Triple H’s signature theme song ‘The Game’ played, distracting Rollins and costing him the match.

On a February episode of Monday Night RAW, Triple H finally confronted Seth Rollins in an epic promo. Triple H said to Rollins, “You know who your creator is, now get you ass in the ring to meet your destroyer!” As Rollins made his way to the ring he was attacked by the debuting NXT superstar Samoa Joe, who tore Rollins’ MCL.

A couple weeks later, Rollins cut another intense promo with Triple H where he announced that he will be at WrestleMania 33 despite his injury. This is already a historically great rivalry and it has not even reached its climax yet. Both superstars are phenomenal in ring performers so the match at WrestleMania should exceed expectations.

The third rivalry is the likely main event at WrestleMania: Goldberg verse Brock Lesnar. In the summer of 2016, there were rumors of former WCW superstar Goldberg returning to WWE. Being 12 years removed from wrestling, Goldberg returning seemed doubtful.

Goldberg shockingly came on RAW and challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at Survivor Series. Fans expected Lesnar to win the match and Goldberg to leave the company after.

Their match main evented the pay per view and ended as one of the biggest surprises in WWE history. Goldberg beat the unbeatable Lesnar in just over two minutes.

The two stars then entered the Royal Rumble in January, where Goldberg humiliated Lesnar once again as he eliminated him from the Rumble.

Lesnar then challenged Goldberg to a match at WrestleMania. Goldberg accepted this challenge and went on to win the Universal Title at Fastlane. This makes Goldberg verse Lesnar a Universal Title match at Mania.

This is an unexpected rivalry between the two most dominant forces in WWE since Andre the Giant. Fans are in for a treat in the likely main event of the WrestleMania.

Meanwhile, Smackdown is wasting their greatest talent: AJ Styles. After having one of the best first years in WWE history, they booked Styles at the Royal Rumble to lose to John Cena; the cemented hall of famer who’s character has yet to change over his lengthy career.  After losing the title, Styles had conflicts with his commissioner, Shane McMahon. Those conflicts have lead to a match between the two at WrestleMania. Putting a top notch superstar like AJ Styles against Vince McMahon’s washed up son who is far from a good technical wrestler makes no sense. It is truly a shame that Smackdown would waste such a great talent on such a pointless match.

Smackdown live has some amazing talent on their show, but RAW has three rivalries that will steal the show at this year’s highly anticipated WrestleMania.