• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

North Korea: 5 Things You Should Know

This+is+the+flag+of+the+Democratic+People%27s+Republic+of+Korea.+
This is the flag of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Jade Smith, Staff

North Korea is currently testing ballistic missiles and has successfully launched four in the last month into the Sea of Japan, this is causing international issues between the United States and its allies. Many students are unaware of this international problem so here are five facts about North Korea that you need to know.

1. North Korea is officially titled The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and is considered a unitary one-party socialist republic. The country is located in East Asia and is ruled by supreme leader Kim Jong-un. The hermit nation has an estimated 24 million people living in its confined borders.

2. In recent years North Korea has faced scorn from the United Nations about human rights violations and has been referred to the international criminal court for crimes against humanity.

3. The Sony Pictures film “The Interview” parodied the regime and resulted in the hacking of Sony Pictures which the United States claims was North Korea but Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, denies any inclusion.

4. In the latest missile launch three missiles landed within 200 miles of the Japanese coastline which the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe calls, “A clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions.”

5. The North Korean regime has been accused of having multiple prisoner camps that practice extermination, murder, enslavement, torture, imprisonment, rape, forced abortions, and other forms of sexual violence.