• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

Warriors Discuss: Donald Trump’s Election Should Scare Americans

Katie Klisavage, Staff

This article is a part of a series of articles, “Warriors Discuss” in which Warrior Journalists take opposing viewpoints on current issues. To see Patrick’s opposing view, click here

On Tuesday November 8th the United States voted for their 45th president. As votes were tallied across the country it looked as if this election would come to a shocking result. As the polls closed and all votes were counted the results took many by surprise, Donald Trump had been voted president elect.

There were many reactions to such a vote, some celebrated openly on the surprising victory while others cried and mourned in absolute shock. As the dust settled and the reality hit, many people wondered what was next to come. Should they rejoice or have fear for the future of America?

The American public should be fearful for their future. Our new president elect is a man who is incapable of successfully running the United States. Donald Trump will not be able to “Make America Great Again,” he will only darken the future of the United States, and there is fact to support it.

Donald Trump at his best may be a mediocre president of the United States, but at his worse Trump could do much damage to the American economy, foreign relationships, and destroy the trust of the American people and set us on a dangerous path for our future.

Some supporters may say that Donald Trump is exactly the kind of President that the United States need, he has been a successful business man, he’s not a career politician and he speaks his mind. These are the exact qualities that are going to jeopardize the United States and its citizens.

Donald Trump’s platform for the American economy includes “creating a dynamic booming economy that will create 25 million new jobs over the next decade.” The question to be asked is how will trump be able to create a booming economy when he can’t keep his own businesses afloat. Since 1991 Trump has had to file for bankruptcy 4 different times.

The Trump Taj Mahal filed for bankruptcy in 1991, The Trump Plaza Hotel filed for bankruptcy in 1992, Trump’s Hotel and Casino Resorts filed for bankruptcy in 2004 and Trump Entertainment Resorts filed for bankruptcy in 2009. If Donald Trump’s companies have had to file for bankruptcy four times how will Trump truly be able to help the American economy? Or will Trump’s second-rate business tactics damage the still recovering economy.

If Trump’s business track record isn’t concerning enough then just consider what Trump might do to foreign affairs. Donald Trump is not a career politician and during his campaign he has been known to be a bit of a loose cannon. Some voters found this to be one of Trump’s best qualities, but when you consider the real repercussions of an unfiltered Donald Trump in politics the results are concerning.

Donald Trump has said quite a few absurd and offensive things during his campaign, at rallies, during interviews and all over twitter. Trump has said insulting and degrading things about women, Hispanic people, fellow politicians including his opponent Hillary Clinton as well as President Obama, and so many others. Such behavior is distasteful and disgraceful, especially coming from a presidential candidate.

At a rally in New Hampshire on June 30th 2016 Trump even made the precarious claim “That could be a Mexican plane up there. They’re getting ready to attack,” as a plane flew overhead. Having a President that makes such absurd and unbacked claims is dangerous for the U.S. government, especially in terms of foreign relations.

In foreign affairs the relationships held between the U.S. and other governments are constantly fluctuating and very sensitive, making foreign affairs a very important matter for the President. With a

man as off the cuff as Donald Trump in the presidency he could easily damage or destroy any delicate foreign relationships the United States holds.

One of the most terrifying things about Donald Trump being the 45th President of the United States is what kind of example Trump will set for the American people. Trump throughout his campaign has said countless offensive, degrading, and disrespectful things about the American people.

Trump has even made preposterous claims like, “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” Every time that Donald Trump makes an irrational claim like this he is shaping the minds and setting precedents for the American people.

When Trump makes derogatory comments or disrespects women or makes fun of the mentally disabled he is setting an example that those kind of things are okay for the American people to do. Trump is encouraging people to say horrible things like this because now it is something people can do and get away with without consequences. How can the American people really trust a man who promotes such behavior?

Donald Trump’s presidency will be history making no matter what the outcome. His presidency may be disastrous and send the United States down a dark path or it may just be a mediocre presidency. Only time will tell what the Trump presidency will hold, with trust and faith the American people will get through the next four years and overcome their circumstances.