• June 4Havre de Grace High School: Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

HHS Warriors Discuss Holiday Traditions

The+Warrior+Pride+Marching+Band+kicks+off+the+Holiday+Season+with+the+Havre+de+Grace+Christmas+Parade.+Photo+Courtesy+of+Mal+Baker.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

HHS Warriors Discuss Holiday Traditions

The Warrior Pride Marching Band kicks off the Holiday Season with the Havre de Grace Christmas Parade. Photo Courtesy of Mal Baker.

Mal Baker

Mal Baker

Mal Baker

Hailey Emerson, Staff

Holiday traditions vary from country to country but also from household to household. They can be anything from a certain meal a family eats at dinner on Christmas Eve to even taking a family trip. Not only do Holiday traditions vary from household to household but also from religion to religion.

Luann Blake, a junior at Havre De Grace High School shared, “A Christmas tradition my family has is a trashy white elephant. Every year you go home with things nobody wants like this creepy Chuckie doll that’s been in the rotation for 16 years. It’s been colored on and cut but every year someone goes home with it and then it’s back in the rotation the following year.” Luann also shared that her family eats seafood for their Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve.

Another tradition Luann shared, “We play a game with odd questions such as, “Who do you think has gone the longest without shaving their legs?” You then pass the gift to the person you think it is. When all the cards are gone, the person who ends up with the mystery gift gets to open it. Last year the person got a box of 100 tubes of toothpaste.”

Jade Smith, a junior at Havre De Grace High School shared, “Each year we take a family trip and celebrate Christmas wherever we go rather than at home.” Also, “We go on a candlelit house tour to see all the Christmas lights and decorations people have decorated their houses with.”

Katie Klisavage, a junior at Havre De Grace High School shared, “Every year it’s tradition to hang up this giant Santa head in grandma’s living room. When you press it, it sings a loud, obnoxious Christmas song.”

Nancy Romero, a sophomore at Havre De Grace High School shared, “Hispanics open all of their Christmas presents right at midnight On Christmas Eve.” Also, “The whole family gets together, gets all dressed up, eats, and then at midnight we start Secret Santa. We draw names from a hat, the gifts have to be above $50. Everyone reveals who they’re giving it to and then we take turns opening up gifts.”

Karli Chancey, a sophomore at Havre De Grace High School shared her Hanukkah Tradition, “Light one more candle every night and each night stands for a certain word. Each night we read a paragraph on the word it represents. Jewish foods we eat are latkes with either sour cream or apple sauce.”

Students of the Warrior community are very diverse and have their own Christmas traditions which makes the holiday more exciting and special.