Homecoming Court: Where Pride Meets Passion

The+Havre+De+Grace+Warrior%2C+donated+by+the+generous+class+of+%2796+sits+in+the+office+as+an+example+of+Warrior+Pride.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Havre De Grace Warrior, donated by the generous class of '96 sits in the office as an example of Warrior Pride.

Peyton Jones

Peyton Jones

Peyton Jones

Peyton Jones, Patrick Hauf, Bay Wettig, Josh Casazza, Mackenzie Mitchell, Christina Rodriguez, Cameron Routh, and Mikai Rice

With spirit week rocking the halls of Havre de Grace, and their homecoming game against North Harford on Friday, October 7th, homecoming court is rocking Warrior pride.

Spirit week activities for the week of October 3rd include: tourist day, clash day, pajama day and class color day. Freshman wear gold, maroon for sophomores, white for juniors, and black for our seniors.

Students on the this year’s homecoming court are Luke Smith, Dachelle Johnson, Rachel Wilson, Michael Flosser, Thomas Crites, Toni Grad, Bryce McCown, Will Ashman, Ashley Burkhardt, and Stephanie Rivera. To be eligible to be on Homecoming Court, one has to play a fall sport and have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Luke Smith, a Varsity football player for the Havre de Grace Warriors, shared his thoughts on possibly becoming homecoming king. “It’s a family tradition to become homecoming king, my older brothers were both homecoming kings.” Luke’s older brother, Sonny Smith, was homecoming king last year. Luke’s oldest brother; Jack Smith, was homecoming king two years ago. Luke has a lot of pressure on him to become homecoming king.

Dachelle Johnson, a Varsity girls Soccer player, explains how she feels about the Havre de Grace community.”I like that everybody knows each other, and is close with each other, we’re like family.” Dachelle then talked about what it means to be on homecoming court, “I feel like for being an athlete and having everybody recognize me, it’s cool”. Dachelle is proud to be on homecoming court, and is excited to possibly becoming the next homecoming queen.

Rachel Wilson is also a varsity soccer player at Havre de Grace High School, and a member of the 2016 homecoming court. She is a hard working honor roll student, who quietly sets a positive example for her classmates.

When asked on what she likes about her school, she said, “I love how its small and everyone gets to know each other.”

Both Johnson and Wilson have similar thoughts on their school. They admire the small town atmosphere at Havre de Grace High School, as they enjoy getting to know the majority of the school.

Michael Flosser, the Warriors starting Varsity Quarterback, said how it feels to be nominated for homecoming king. “It’s a very humbling experience to know that people wanted me to be on the court considering how prestigious it is.”

Mikey continued to say how he loves Havre de Grace, due to its size and how its more special to be nominated by people he really cares about.

Thomas Crites is an absolute force for the Havre de Grace varsity football team. He’s dedicated to serving his community this is evident because he is a volunteer firefighter.

When speaking on what it means to be on homecoming court, Thomas stated, “It is an honor to me because only ten people out of the entire senior class get to be on court.”

Thomas is very humbled by his selection to the homecoming court, and looks forward to see who becomes the king and queen.

Stephanie Rivera , the captain of the varsity Girls Volleyball, explained to us why people should vote for her. ” I want to keep the volleyball and Rivera legacy going, I feel that I have always been in the community. I have also worked my butt off to be the Volleyball Captain.”

Stephanie Rivera summed up the sentiments of the members of the homecoming court. All members expressed gratitude for the opportunity to represent their school. Stephanie commented, ” It’s an honor to think that when people think of homecoming court they think of me.”

All the spirit week activities culminate in the pep rally Friday afternoon and the Homecoming game Friday night.